Good idea, but the execution just fell flat.

The Lost Boys - Lilian Carmine

This book had a really good idea, but the execution just fell flat. The first quarter of the book was interesting and set up Joe (a totally non-traditional girl, she's so unique with a boy's name!) bringing Tristan back from the dead with some undiscovered power. So far, so good, right? Well, not so fast, because you've just been bait-and-switched. Now this is a Twilight clone where insecure (but totally beautiful) girl loves, loses, and regains boy. Gone is the paranormal story, and really any explanation of how Joe did what she did. Now it's a typical teen angst-y high school story. It turned into a major slog.

Other things that bothered me were O!M!G! with the exclamation points! Once Joe gets to her boarding school there are pages and pages of sentences with them, which drove me crazy. Also, apparently the school has a strict no uggo policy, since every character is described as totally gorgeous. Oh and no one cares that Joe is sharing a room with two guys. Riiiight. The final nitpick was something so simple that I can't believe that no one caught out in the editing process. Tristan, the very hot ghost boy is supposed to be a high school student, but when he shows Joe his tombstone, the dates are 1938 - 1950. Which makes him 12. Math. Fail.

Overall this book was ok, but it needs some help and focus. I really would have liked a lot more information about the Joe's powers and a lot less high school drama.