The Cake House (Vintage Original) - Latifah Salom

This book starts out with a literal bang. Rosaura and her mom are on the run from her dad, who finds them and commits suicide in front of her mom. After these shocking events, the story takes on a surreal quality as Rosaura processes the events and her new situation with her stepfather and stepbrother.

The jacket copy says this is a reimaging of Hamlet, but I have to admit, I've never actually read Hamlet, so I don't have a basis for comparison. I know the gist of the story and The Cake House roughly tracks with that.

Overall, I liked this book. The beginning draws you in with the shocking death of Rosaura's father, and the surreal life she lives afterward keeps you interested. I liked that Rosaura isn't a shrinking violet, even though she's a teenage girl who's been traumatized. She still manages to be smart and tough while her mom falls completely apart. I'd definitely recommend this book to people who have read Hamlet (which I should now probably do) and mystery/thriller fans.