Ever After - Jude Deveraux

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

I had a hard time with this book because I didn't realize it was #3 in a series, so I felt like I was missing some pieces of the puzzle from the previous books.  It seemed like there were some pretty significant character developments from the supporting characters that would have made this book more enjoyable.

I also had a really weird feeling throughout the book that it was written by someone other than Jude Deveraux.  I've read a LOT of her books and for some reason, this one just didn't strike me as having the same voice.  Maybe it's because it's been a while since I read them, or maybe it's that the ones I've read in the past were historical romances instead of contemporary romance, but it just didn't feel like the same person was writing them.  I'll have to re-read some of her older books to see if my memory holds up (or if I'm just a little crazy here ;) .)

Overall it was ok.  I had a hard time liking with Hallie, though (having married a Marine) I ended up understanding and liking Jamie a lot.  Hallie's thought processes and decisions seemed to come out of nowhere so she felt a little flat to me.  I did like the house and the matchmaking ghosts.  That was a really cute element to the story.

I will probably read the first two books to see if that fills in some of the pieces for me, and I'll definitely keep reading Jude Deveraux's books, even though this one wasn't her best for me.