Affliction - Laurell K. Hamilton STOP THE PRESSES! ANITA GETS BACK TO SOLVING CRIMES IN THIS INSTALLMENT!Wow, it's been way too long. This book gets back to Anita's roots and actually has a plot, instead of being a series of sex scenes clumsily pasted together with some vampire/shapeshifter politics. I did think there was a lot of unnecessary description. We really don't need a detailed physical description of every single character, especially if they're tangential and going to disappear in a few pages. There's also a lot of superfluous information about the other characters. The last gripe is that the ending is REALLY rushed. Like it's all over in ten pages or less.Also, let's talk about Boulder, CO and Boulder County. I grew up there, so I know for a fact that the town and county are extremely tolerant - no one would bat an eye at the alternative relationships in this series. Seriously, polyamory wouldn't bug anyone from Boulder at all. Not even a little. No one would care if Micah's dad, mom and her new hubby all live together in a three way relationship. Even the cops. It's ridiculous to set this in Boulder, then make everyone all weird about the romantic situation.It's not perfect, but I actually enjoyed this one a lot. It's a major step in the right direction for the series, but there's still some work to be done. I'll keep with it, since this installment has done a good job at getting back to a supernatural crime thriller, instead of romance with no plot.