A is for Alibi - Sue Grafton This series is off to a rocky start for me. I found the story pretty interesting, but it was obvious at some points that this was the author's first effort. Some of the writing was bad, but other parts were really good. The main character is frustrating - she seems to be smart at times, but can also be really dense. For example, when you figure out who the killer is, don't you think you should alert the police, just in case he/she comes after you? There's no back story, so you're left guessing at bits and pieces of Kinsey Millhone's world and that makes it really hard to connect with her character. I'm giving "B is for Burglar" a try, since this showed some promise, but there are some things to be aware of if you're coming to this party very late (like I am).1. This book was written in 1982 - it is a little dated. While it's not necessarily a bad thing, it's something to keep in mind while you're reading. Talk of using typewriters for reports, getting film developed for pictures and absurdly low prices on hotel rooms and other things will really stand out.2. I figured out who the killer was about halfway through the book. As soon as she started banging Charlie, I knew he'd be the bad guy. Why? Because whenever a female cop/detective/private eye character gets involved with someone, it's the killer. Always.3. There were some very notably bad lines in this book. Most of the writing was really good and flowed well, making it a quick read overall, but when a bad line hit, it was noticeable. It interrupted the whole flow of the story and I found myself having to re-read portions where the dialog got totally unrealistic and hard to follow. Other times there were extraneous details thrown in or weird analogies that just didn't do it for me. I'm hoping that these are just the small verbal tics of a first time writer that will get sorted out as the series goes on.Overall, it's not a bad book and I'm willing to give the rest of the series a try to see if some of these small issues get worked out as they go along.