The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger After reading The Catcher in the Rye, I'm left with the resounding feeling of meh. I don't get why this is so controversial or worth banning or why it's a classic. It's extremely dated and I don't think kids today would feel any sort of connection with it - they'd probably stop reading it all together if it wasn't banned by some PTA on a regular basis.I'm not a huge fan of the stream of consciousness style of writing, but what got to me with this book is that I really didn't care about Holden or any of the other characters. I guess having not grown up with money and privilege I don't really understand what he's got to be so angst-y and emo about or what could possibly justify a breakdown at the ripe old age of 16. Must be rough to have rich parents who bail you out of everything.That being said, I liked the way Salinger set the scenes. The imagery is very good and makes you feel like you're in Holden's dorm room or walking down Fifth Avenue - you can picture the scenes in your head.Oh well, at least I can check this off my 1001 books to read before you die list, so it's not a total loss.