Started strong, but fizzled.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black

This book started out really strong, but kind of fizzled in the middle.  The end picked back up, but felt rushed.  Overall, the plot didn't really seem to go anywhere, we just kind of followed Tana around during a couple of really bad days.  I don't know if this is a set up for a series featuring Tana and Gavriel in Coldtown, but it seemed unfinished.

That being said, I LOVED the beginning.  Tana waking up in the bathtub after a night of partying, only to find all the other party-goers killed by vampires was great.  Very tense.  I also loved her back-story with her mom.  Gavriel was interesting, but you never really learn much about him, other than

he's the Thorn of Istra, which is the vampire law enforcement, and at the end you find out he's actually the Spider (kind of the vampire head honcho) since he killed the old Spider to escape and hunt down Lucien.

(show spoiler)

Aiden is kind of a douche, Pearl is a naive tween, Lucien is the classic sexy, blonde glamorous (evil) vampire, and Midnight and Winter are every goth/vampire/emo kid stereotype rolled into a brother/sister team.

I burned through the first 200-ish pages of this book in a couple of hours, but the rest dragged once they got to Coldtown.  Once they got there, it felt like things just happened for no real reason other than to give the characters something to do.  It really felt like Ms. Black got massive writers block, then just decided to say "eh, I'll just throw something together and that's that."  So, to sum it up - lots of promise, first 200 pages are great and set up some really interesting possibilities, but it just didn't follow through.