Entertaining, but the ending is very confusing.

Seven Deadlies: A Cautionary Tale - Gigi Levangie Grazer

I received a copy of this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is narrated by 14 year old Perry Gonzales, a scholarship student at a ritzy L.A. private school, who tutors fellow students.  Along the way, she and her fellow students exhibit the seven deadly sins - lust, greed, envy, pride, sloth, wrath, and gluttony.  The stories are kind of twisted little vignettes, much like Chris Priestley's Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth, Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror,and Tales of Terror from the Black Ship, but not quite as dark.  Perry has written these tales as part of her college admission essay.  She's fun, spunky and smart.

What I didn't like was the end.  There are two letters to the college admissions officer, one from Perry and one from her mom.

The first letter is from Perry, telling the admissions officer that her dad is the angel Michael and that's why she can sense the deadly sins.  Um, what?  The next letter is even weirder.  It's from Perry's mom, saying that Perry is essentially a big fat liar; that her mom was a single teen mom who had to quit her nursing job to stay home and watch her, she's not a scholarship student, she doesn't even go to school because of her unnamed problem with reality.  She's basically delusional and her mom lets her believe that her dad is the angel Michael because she felt guilty that her dad, Miguel, ran out on them.

(show spoiler)

I have absolutely no idea how these letters relate to the rest of the book.

Overall, the book is enjoyable, but I'd definitely skip the two letters at the end.  They don't add anything to the book and actually detract from it, in my opinion.