As usual, another home run by Preston & Child

White Fire - Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Preston & Child do such an amazing job of drawing the reader into the story and keeping you guessing until the very end.

The only reason I knocked half a star off was Corrie.  Wow is she annoying, even for a 20 year old.  Her attitude toward Pendergast is appalling, and her detective skills in this book left me wondering if she's really cut out for police work.  Sure, she's smart and does well with the forensic parts of the investigation, but she completely sucked at putting together basic facts and continually made stupid decisions, even after Pendergast explained things to her using very small words AND drew her a picture.  She's so self-absorbed that she just thinks, "Nope, I'm smarter than him, despite the fact that he's ALWAYS right, so I'm going to do exactly what he just told me not to do."  Facepalm.

It got so bad that I was hoping she'd been killed in the last fire.  I mean, come on.  You've been shot at, had your dog beheaded AND been explicitly warned by Pendergast that the big power broker family in town was gunning for you (literally) and you STILL run off alone, without telling anyone where you're going (after Pendergast specifically told you to stay at the hotel, then leave town immediately when the road opens, since you're in that much danger), during a blizzard, after you've confirmed TWICE that someone is following you, and don't see any problem with that until AFTER you realize that you're trapped in an abandoned mine shaft with a guy shooting at you? I'm sorry, honey, but just no.  You lost me.  You're an idiot.

(show spoiler)

I loved the addition of Stacy Bowdree and I hope we see more of her in the future, as well as more of the old characters, like Proctor, Constance, Vincent and Laura, and Tristram.

I also loved the Colorado setting and the incorporation of some Colorado historical figures (in a fictionalized way).  It's always fun to find little Easter eggs in books like that.

I'd highly recommend this book to people who like interesting, fast-paced mysteries, Sherlock Holmes, and have a high tolerance for irritating college students.  It helps to have read the other books in the series, mostly the Helen trilogy, but it's not essential to the story.