The Winter Guest - Pam Jenoff

This book had a lot of good things going for it and reminded me a lot of The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult in a good way. The tension between Helena and Ruth, the twin sisters at the heart of the story, really ramped up the drama and kept the story moving, when it might have otherwise bogged down.

One small, dumb thing that bugged me was the family's goat. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about goats, but I'm pretty sure that you can't milk a male goat. You know, mammals being what they are and all. So, maybe the author or publisher might want to change the gender of the goat in future editions. Just throwing that out there. I will also admit that this is a silly nitpick, but it did bug me. A lot.

That said, overall the story is good. The main characters are able to both draw you in, then really irritate you in turn, making them pretty realistic 18 year old girls. The story and the circumstances that the girls and their family face is very believable, which I really liked.